Where is South Africa currently?
of children attend pre school.
of students will pass matric.
of matrics go to university and half of these drop out.
is the level of youth unemployment.
Where is Africa currently?
of rural children never attend school. No African country has universal primary schooling.
of children who leave elementary school go onto secondary school.
of young people go into higher education.
is the average level of youth unemployment.
“It is clear that innovation in education is in fact fast becoming a cause that is attracting the biggest talents and brightest minds.”
– Excerpt from speech delivered by Jamie Martin, Head of CiTi’s EdTech Open Innovation Cluster, at the Education Innovation Summit in Johannesburg, 31 May 2017.
About the EdTech Open Innovation Cluster
Business as usual has failed in South Africa – so entrepreneurs, teachers, students, technologists and interested citizens need to step forward and use technology to fix the problem.
That’s why our EdTech Open Innovation Cluster brings you Africa’s first EdTech dedicated Incubator Programme.
EdTech in the Press
About Jamie Martin
- Former Special Adviser to UK Secretary of State for Education
- Former education specialist at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), Deloitte in UK, Dubai offices
- Former adviser on strategy, focused on Africa, to international education companies/VC funds
Previous consulting, govt in Africa, UK, Middle East, USA
- Senior adviser to UK govt overseeing radical reform of school system
- Worked on fundraising, operations, growth with education start ups in SA & Ghana
- Africa strategy and global transformation for UK growth stage education business
Growth strategy, fundraising ($80M) & market entry for Middle East school chain
- Several due diligence projects for top private equity firms on education assets
Strategy work for global firms in insurance, retail, technology, healthcare.